la Hacienda de los Martinez
708 Hacienda Rd
Taos, New Mexico 87571
Winter Hours (ending April 9):
Open: 10am to 4pm , 12-4 on Sunday.
Closed Wed & Thur
Spring & Summer Hours (starting April 10):
Open 10 AM - 5 PM Monday through Saturday
Open 12 AM - 5 PM Sunday
Recent Visitor Comments:
"Very nicely done. Entering each room was a pleasant surprise and different from a lot of places where there is too much outside signage. Really takes you back there." 2/24/17
La Hacienda de los Martinez is one of the few remaining northern New Mexico late Spanish Colonial period “Great Houses” (casas mayor) in the American Southwest.
Built in 1804 by don Severino Martinez and family, this fortress-like building with its massive adobe walls, located along the Rio Pueblo, 2 miles s.w. of the Taos Plaza, became not only the Martinez family home, but also an important trade center. During the late Spanish Colonial period, it was the last stop above the terminus of El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro, or “Royal Road of the Interior Land.”
Moving from Abiquiu, NM, in 1803, don Severino Martinez (formerly Martin) and his wife Maria del Carmel Santistevan Martinez raised six children in the Hacienda.
The eldest Martinez son was the famous Padre Antonio Martinez who battled the French Bishop Lamy to preserve the Hispanic character of the Catholic Church in the territory.
Padre Martinez was also a dynamic social reformer who created the first co-educational school in New Mexico and brought the first printing press to Taos.
In addition to his merchant and trade activities, Severino Martinez was also the Alcalde (mayor) of Taos and managed the family’s extensive ranching and farming operations on their original five square miles of land.
After Mexico won her independence from Spain in 1821, trade with the north opened. As a result, Severino Martinez and his family became active in trading with the Americans who were bringing badly needed trade goods in by the Santa Fe Trail.
Today the restored Hacienda’s twenty-one rooms surrounding two interior courtyards provide the visitor with a rare glimpse of the rugged frontier life and times of the early 1800s.